Feature request: metadata translation from shotwell's photo.db

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Feature request: metadata translation from shotwell's photo.db

Post  jonh on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:16 am

I'm planning to integrate my shotwell metadata with PhotoShow by writing a script which generates PhotoShow's .xml files. I'll drop this feature-request in here as a placeholder -- if it's already been done, let me know. :v) Otherwise, I'll return here to post my script.

jonh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

a rough cut

Post  jonh on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:48 pm

I have a rough version of this script working, which generates a tree of directories and symlinks whose structure reflect the shotwell Event tree (rather than the filesystem structure that holds the original photos). I put the original photos in a directory under $photos_dir that's executable but not readable, so that only the generated tree is visible as photos in PhotoShow.

My current problem is scalability. I just dumped 10500 photos into it, and now I can't display anything: photoshow just goes away for the entire PHP max_execution_time. strace shows that it's stat'ing every file in the file tree. I can infer that it's doing this because the filesystem is the canonical representation of what it should store (versus a database). Is this scalability limit deeply ingrained in the system's architecture? Or is it conceivable that it could discover and cache information about subtrees, so that future page-views only load the cached metadata rather than trying to regenerate it all?

I'm about to dig into the PHP (a language I don't know ... yet :v) to see if I can make such a change, but if the author has a suggestion on where to look or whether such a change would even be welcome, please let me know before I get too far in!

Thanks,

--Jon

jonh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

gave up

Post  jonh on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:47 am

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to make photoshow scale better. Still, thanks to the author for writing an elegant, simple program that's easy to work with.

If others are interested, here's how I achieved my posting-photos-from-shotwell goal: http://www.jonh.net/~jonh/shotgo/.

jonh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Feature request: metadata translation from shotwell's photo.db

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top